MY PHILP FAMILY TREE
The name PHILP is believed to be of Scottish origin. Records show a Patrick Phylp in England around 1547. In some cases it may be an Englishing of Mackillop or a brief spelling of the name "Phillip." There is a Philp Hall in Crecottie, Scotland. Our known Philp family came from Mylor, Cornwall, England. The name PHILP means LOVER OF HORSES. The Philp Coat of Arms was first granted in Sweden. It is a blue shield on which is a red chevron between a gold fleur-de-lis and a castle tower.
FIRST KNOWN GENERATION:
THOMAS PHILP and MARY KEMP (dates unknown; parents unknown) According to the Calendar of Wills and
Administrations in the Consistory Court of the Bishop of Exeter, 1532 - 1800, in 1761 a Thomas Philp
died in Mylor, Cornwall, England, which may have been the father of this Thomas.
Children of Thomas and Mary (Kemp) Philp:
1. ROBERT KEMP PHILP (my gr. gr. gr. grandfather), christened 6 Sep 1769, died 1850 in Mylor,
Cornwall, England. He was a Unitarian minister. His life and that of his children is chronicled in the
James D. Philp's book, "Restless Wind, A Philp Family Chronicle." To purchase this book contact me below. He married THOMASIN O'BRIEN on 27 Apr 1791 in Falmouth. See Robert's family below.
2. Alice Phillp born after 1771.
3. Thomas Philp born about 1773.
4. Mary Philp born about 1775; married Philip Sanbell.
5. Henry Philp born about 1780.
6. Jenny Philp born about 1784.
7. Betsey Philp born about 1784.
8. Cherry Philp born about 1787.
9. Grace Philp born about 1790.
10. John Kemp Philp born 1799; died 1827.
ROBERT KEMP PHILP AND THOMASIN O'BRIEN
1. Henry Philp (1793-1836); married Elizabeth George
(Our ancestors; click on Thomas' name to go to his web page)
3. John Philp (1799 - 1827)
4. James Philp (Chr. 11 Oct 1800; died 1887); married Jane Glyas
Children: Franklin Philp (1826 - 1887); Elizabeth Glyas Philp
(1825 - 1826); Elizabeth Philp (1827 - 1885); James Buckingham Philp (1830 - ) married Sarah
5. Charles Philp (1802 - 1812)
6. Samuel Philp (1804 - )
7. Mary O'Brien Philp (1805 - )
8. Charles Wesley Philp (1808 - 1812)
9. George Winchester Philp (1811 - )
10. William Pellowe Philp (1817 - 1873)